Class II. Grey granite containing felspar crystals. 2.13m high.
This cross-slab was unearthed during street repairs in 1823 near St. Giles Kirk (NJ 21596 6285) but is now located within the cathedral grounds.
The south face of this stone (pictured) features a cross. On the north face is a double-disc and Z-rod above a crescent and V-rod. Below the symbols is a hunting scene with four mounted figures, a hawk, and a stag and hounds.
"A cross with badly-worn interlace, small hollow armpits and a central circular boss. The background has four panels: (1) and (2) two winged, haloed figures with books or book satchels round their necks. The figures represent two evangelists; (3) the left panel shows a bearded, moustached Matthew with a halo and symbol of a man looking over his shoulder; (4) the right panel shows a similar figure with a book but no halo, and an Eagle of St. John above his right shoulder. Below the base of the cross are four intertwined beasts biting each other's bodies."
- p. 104, E. Sutherland, 'The Pictish Guide' (Birlinn, 1997).
RCAHMS reference: http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/16627/details/elgin+cathedral+pictish+cross+slab/
Canon 5D Mark II | ISO100 | 17-40 f/4L @ 21mm | f/8 | 1/400 sec | no filtration
Elgin Cathedral, Elgin, Moray